Saturday, May 5, 2012

Comic Homage

I've been a bit under the weather, so I've turned to an old stand-by: digging through the archives of my favorite webcomics. Bonus, when they contain scientific or chemical references.


So far today, I've made it through most of xkcd, and happened to finish Deborah Blum's Poisoner's Handbook last night. With some time on my hands, I figured a "mash-up" of the two might be in order.
(Cheat Sheet: check out this story about biochemistry, NASA, and "alien life" found here on Earth)

MESSAGE FROM THE FUTURE: BEWARE THE SUPER-TOXINS!
You never know what you'll find fishing around in Mono Lake...


5 comments:

  1. worth pointing out that the arsenic life debacle was centered on a misunderstanding of the stability of arsenic acids/esters v phosphoric acids/esters. organoarsenic compounds are unrelated. i think you're really reaching here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's meant to be satirical. The only way you'd ever find these compounds would be to make them yourself. I'm fully aware that complex organomercurials and arsenides don't just pop up in biosynthetic pathways : )

      Delete
    2. Take a look at doi: 10.1002/chem.200600783 & 10.1002/aoc.1060.

      Delete
  2. Oh snap! Pretty soon See Arr Oh is gonna have a throw-down with FWS and JJLC!

    ReplyDelete